Top 10 Picks for 2014
A little background for those of you new to Heritage Perennials. John Schroeder is a nursery grower with 2 nurseries producing the perennials you see in branded blue pots at your local garden centre. He’s been doing this for over 30 years but this is an onerous task even for him – choosing just 10 perennials from the myriad of new varieties coming to market that he personally would recommend for your garden in 2014.
John knows his perennials and these selections have been ‘hand-picked’ for you taking reliability, beauty, performance and the best chance of garden success into consideration.
John Schroeder: “As always, discovering new plants remains one of my favourite activities. Whether it is finding something brand new, or an improvement on a classic, there’s always the thrill of discovery. For all of us as gardeners and nursery growers, this is an exciting time with many new varieties of perennials available each year. I’m delighted to present this list of ten of the most exciting and promising new perennials for 2014!”
1. Leucanthemum x superbum ‘Freak!’ - Zone 4
2. Lilium ‘Tiny Double You‘ - Zone 2
3. Nepeta x faassenii ‘Junior Walker’ - Zone 5
4. Heucherella ‘Buttered Rum’ - Zone 4
5. Peony ‘Berry Garcia’ - Zone 3
6. Phlox Early Start™ Light Pink - Zone 4
7. Aralia cordata ‘Sun King’ - Zone 3
8. Carex oshimensis EverColor® Everest - Zone 5
9. Echinacea x purpurea Double Scoop Series - Zone 4
10. Panicum virgatum ‘Blood Brothers’ - Zone 4