Here are our top picks for the best perennials that do well in a sunny garden. They can withstand longer hours of sunshine and the drying effects that may accompany it better than some other sun-lovers. Sunny gardens tend to be one of the easiest to fill with perennials although this is not an exact science so you need to consider hours of direct sunlight per day. We will consider full sun to mean 6+ hours of direct sun, however this doesn’t actually mean plants must be in bright light every moment of the day, only most of the day. So lather on the SPF 30 and let’s get started!
2. Pink Thrift (Armeria maritima Dusseldorf Pride) – Zone 2
4. Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum ‘Snowcap’) – Zone 4
6. Blazing Star (Liatris spicata ‘Kobold’) – Zone 2
9. Perennial Sage (Salvia x sylvestris May Night) – Zone 3
10. Autumn Stonecrop (Sedum Autumn Joy) - Zone 2
11. Not included in the Top 10 plants for Sunny Gardens because they are already included in Top 10 Perennials of All Time are Yarrow (Achillea ‘Moonshine’) and Purple Coneflower (Echinacea ‘Magnus’).